Meet my motivational tool:
My last semester of college I took an ‘Activity & Health’ class; purely because I heard it was an “easy A”. Well lucky for me, I learned a thing or two. A big portion of our class grade was a project that we had to wear a pedometer every day for 4 weeks. The first week we went about our ‘normal’ life, making no changes to our daily routine. Then the following three weeks were used to make goals & improve our step count. Let’s just say I hated it. My VERY first day my step count was 3,082. After hearing the steps an “ACTIVE” person takes in a day, I wanted to cry. Granted my job at the time was working at a casino standing in one place for 8 hours and I lived off-campus so I drove to every single class, but still.
Eventually it became less of a “wow, I am lazy” stamp on my forehead and more of a challenge. Since moving to New York ..I often wondered how many steps I take per day. Thankfully I found the answer to my question one night strolling through Target. Oh yeah – pedometers! Believe me, Jeff took some persuading but he warmed up to the idea.
I walk EVERYWHERE! So let me say, if my step count was that of a ‘sedentary’ individual again ..tears would fall. BUT lucky for me, the pedometer experiment works better when I don’t have a professor forcing me to do it. Here are the details ..
- Wear your pedometer for 1 week. Make absolutely NO changes to your daily routine. At the end of the day, record your step count.
- For Week #2 – Make a goal for yourself. (ie. increase your steps per day by 3,000 or walk 12,000 steps a day).
- Week #3 – If you reached your goals, make new ones. If you didn’t, reevaluate.
Pedometer 411 –
- 2,000-3,000 steps per day: Sedentary person.
- 6,000 steps per day: Significantly reduces the risk of heart disease and diabetes.
- 10,000 steps per day: [where you want to be] Promotes weight-loss, + more health benefits.
- WalkingSpree.com – you don’t have to be a RUNNER to be healthy, just get out & walk ..the health benefits speak for themselves!
Find your favorite spot to walk. I found mine.
& ENJOY :)